28 June 2010

Siracusa...alla spiaggia

Siracusa, and more specifically, Ortigia is the most beautiful place in the world. It is so peaceful and wonderful and full of such life and culture! The island has been inhabited by so many various societies and peoples over the centuries that the diverse cultures have meshed together to make an incredible island. The island of Ortigia is so tiny that you can get from one side to another so quickly. You never walk more than 10 steps without being to see the water. There are swimming holes and sand beaches everywhere. The food is also unbelievable...whether we're eating pasta or pizza or salad or seafood, its so great! And we definitely spend all of our free time on the beach, the water is the most blue I've ever seen and its as far as the eye can see.

We went on a boat tour of the island the other day, which was wonderful! We went to a private cove, where we could swim right off the boat. Then the coast guard came, and that party got broken up! We joked it was the first time we broke the law in Italy and got away with it. Unfortunately, I did get burnt, for the first time here. The sun is so amazing, it seriously isn't as powerful as it is in Pittsburgh. I'm loving it!!

Classes started today and they are amazing. Its so nice to finally be back into the class mode, and it definitely forces me to use my Italian more, which is obviously the whole reason I'm here! :)I went to the market and was able to talk to all the vendors only in Italian and even my listening skills are getting better already! I don't believe that this place has the potential to get old!

Sadly, Lorraine had to go back to the States today, as she was really sick and just wasn't feeling any better here. It was so upsetting, especially since she is the whole reason I chose this trip over any others! But hopefully, she'll feel better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment